BRAIN BOOSTERS FOR MID AFTERNOON SLUMP THAT WORK FAST.
Ahhh, mid-afternoon – when we all walk around in a coma, thinking…
“IS IT TOO LATE FOR COFFEE?…IS IT TOO EARLY FOR WINE?…WHATS WRONG WITH MY BRAIN?!
Nutritionists and scholars could go on for hours about WHY we get this slump but right now you just need help.
So, here is what works quick.
1. TAKE A FIVE TO TEN MINUTE EXERCISE BREAK.
We often think we need an hour or more to exercise, which means it often doesn’t happen at all. Studies show, three sessions of ten minutes a day are just as effective as thirty minutes straight through. BUT – for waking up your brain – just getting oxygen to your brain for ten minutes will help (especially if you do this 20 minutes after your take your brain supplements – see below). Leave your running shoes at your desk.
A quick Race walk around the block, with deep breaths. You can simply say “going for coffee” and run out the door. Race walk around the block with intentional deep breaths. You don’t need to break a sweat or even look like you are exercising – as long as you get your circulation going and oxygen into your lungs you will get circulation/oxygen into your brain – which means – YOU WILL Wake UP! Better yeat start and end with a stretch with your head to the ground.
Can’t get outside?
Find the stairwell in your building. Since you are a bit brain dead right now – I have to say this: Read the signs to be sure you won’t get locked in PLEASE! Start with a few stretches and deep breaths and go at your own pace. Also you can racewalk around the parking lot
Yoga where you get your head below your waist will bring circulation to the brain. If you have an office just shut the door & do a quick five to ten minutes of Flow Yoga. If you have no idea what Flow Yoga is, try a few beginner yoga classes on u-tube.
NO office? Perhaps try rallying a few others in the office to join you in the break room, empty conference room – or where ever there is space. Or just find an empty area alone – it takes a five minutes.
2.TAKE BRAIN SUPPLEMENTS – ON AN EMPTY STOMACH OR AWAY FROM PROTEIN:
- L-Tyrosine. An amino acid that supports thyroid, pituitary and adrenal glands, mental and physical energy, and even possibly Parkinsons protection. It is considered a cortisol regulator and is a powerful muscle builder.
- DL-Phenylalanine. An amino acid which can cross the blood brain barrier and is taken for mild depression, pain relief and mental energy.
- Rhodiola. An adaptogen, meaning it helps the body and mind adapt to stress. It is considered calming and yet mentally uplifting.
- Ginko. An herb that brings circulation to the brain.
Find a brain formula that contains at least two of these.
BEST IS TO TAKE THE SUPPLEMENTS, THEN GO FOR THE EXERCISE BREAK. GET BACK TO DESK – ONE MORE HOUR OF HIGH FUNCTIONING WORK – TIME FOR WINE!
Let me know how it goes!
CHEERS AND TO YOUR HEALTH!